Wellington Zoo‘s Owl has done it! His adorable eyes and fluffy face peeking out of that bowl powered him past that Rhino’s amazing ears, and he has been crowned 2015 Squee Champion.
As for the brackets – every single one of the 61 brackets submitted were busted early on. We are thrilled to announce that the winner of a year’s membership to the Santa Barbara Zoo is Deborah Goss, Friend of Squee and Mom of Heather. Congratulations!!! Deborah tied with two others for the closest predictions, and we pulled her name randomly out of a mug.
Thanks to EVERYONE who voted, cheered, and trash-talked this year. And start sending in your nominations for #Squee16!
Update: Thursday, March 26: We’re down to two baby animals! And we can’t believe it’s come down to Rhino and Owl. VOTE NOW and help us determine the 2015 Baby Animal March Squee Madness Champion. Voting closes at 10p Eastern!
Update: Wednesday, March 25: Round Two results are in! And there’s even more heartbreak… I’m not afraid to tell you, there was some weeping for Koala and Red Panda at Squee HQ this morning, but we’re moving on. Who of the Final Four will make it to the Finals! VOTE NOW (until 10p Eastern)!
Update: Tuesday, March 24: Round One results are in!
There was some weeping at Squee HQ last night, what a pile of upsets. And, out of the 61 brackets submitted, only 3 remain intact. Will those smart suqee-lovers keep it up to the end? Find out and VOTE NOW!
PS: Don’t forget your sticker!
We start with the Sweet Sixteen of Baby Animals! Remember, you’re voting for the photo. The idea behind Squee is that there is something fundamental about this particular image that elicits an exclamatory noise.
Tell us (until tonight at 10p Eastern) WHO IS MORE SQUEE?
HERE IT IS, the bracket you’ve all been waiting for!
Last year, one smart, squee-loving lucky winner won a membership to her local aquarium. Don’t you want to do the same? Submit your bracket prediction using this form, or tweet or email us a photo of your bracket, and tell us who you think will be the 2015 Squee Champion!
(of course we expect you to have this printed, filled in, and hanging all over your offices).
Submissions will be open until 10pm Eastern (GMT-4) on Sunday, March 22.
Voting begins on Monday, March 23! Good luck, and Happy Squee Season!
Here are the last four contenders for 2015 Squee Champion:
1) An Otter, named Luna (a.k.a. Pup 681). This ball of fuzz was rescued off the coast of California, and is currently living happily at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.
2) This Spectacled Flying Fox, swaddled with his friends at the Australian Bat Clinic and Wildlife Trauma Center.
3) A tiny Turtle at the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium, rescued from being turned into food!
4) This Jacob Sheep (and her brother) from the Philadelphia Zoo, who will grow up to as many as six horns!
We are losing our minds over the potential matchups! Later today, you’ll share our pain as we release the bracket. Also later today, you’ll be able to submit your own bracket prediction to win a Zoo or Aquarium membership!
Things are heating up. Look at these animals!
1) An Owl, seeking shelter in a bowl at the Wellington Zoo.
2) A Lion named Magnus, who was rescued, then had surgery, and finally is recovering with the help of Viktor Larkhill.
3) A wee Orangutan at Zoo Berlin who is normally only found on the island of Sumatra.
4) A Rhino named Fara who hangs out at the Chester Zoo (where cyclists get 15% off their visit!)
I’m not sure we can handle much more… but we’ve got four left to show you. Stay tuned.
Here are four more ridiculously cute animals in contention for Squee Champion this year:
1) This Seal, named Bryce. He lives at the Alaska Sea Life Center, is blind, and is learning how to find food and learn behaviors with a rattle!
2) This Binturong, named Oliver Wolf. For such a big name this little binturong (or “bear cat”) has a tail as long as his body and purrs just like a kitten. He lives at the Staten Island Zoo!
3) This Wallaby, named Alkira. This joey’s name means sunshine and is being looked after by the Taronga Zoo, after her mom was killed in a car accident.
4) This Goat,who is actually a Nigerian Dwarf Goat. This kid likes to bounce around the yard at the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport, CT.
Tomorrow: It gets even harder!
It’s that time of year again! Welcome to the 5th annual March Baby Animal Squee Madness Tournament. For the next four days, we’ll introduce the contenders who will battle it out for Squee Champion. Like last year, you’ll be able to submit your brackets at the end of the week, and a winner will be chosen (from those who predict the closest) to receive a year’s membership to the Zoo or Aquarium of her/his choice. Questions? Refer to our FAQ, tweet us, or send us an email.
Let’s get to it. Our first four contenders are:
1) A Koala who lives at the Duisburg Zoo in Germany. He used a substitute momma koala while he was weighed, in this photo.
2) A little Sun Bear who is a twin! This skeptical fuzz is part of only the third littler of sun bears to be born in North America, and calls the San Diego Zoo home.
3) A Mojave Ground Squirrel, who stands guard over his desert home. Don’t get too close, he’ll “peep” in alarm!
4) A Red Panda who weighed in at only one pound during this photo, but will soon grow up big and strong, to explore his home at the Auckland Zoo.
Stay tuned for more amazingly squee-worthy babies tomorrow!
Last year, this was the Bracket that led us to crown the Ocelot the Baby Animal March Squee Madness Champion. As we get the 2015 bracket together, some of Squee Team are reliving the heartbreak of Pangolin :(
Congratulations, Ocelot! You are the 2014 March Squee Madness Champion. You destroyed the Tapir in the Squee 16 battle of the tongues, handily took out the cute-tailed Coati and singing Turtle in the Quarter and Semi Final rounds, then overcame the floating, sleepy cuteness of the Otter. Well done! What are you going to do next? Celebrate with a snack and some frolicking!
Congratulations also to Anne, who won our Bracket Tournament! Not a single bracket out of the 35 submitted was perfect, but 4 were tied for the highest bracket score, and she was randomly selected from that top group. We hope her kiddo, for whom she submitted the bracket, enjoys her membership to the Greater Cleveland Aquarium and sends us lots of photos to Squee over.
FYI, the other 3 who matched her skill at predicting the winner were Alex, Kelly, and Erin. Nice job, Squeers!
Thanks to EVERYONE who participated this year, and you especially to Mal, our Squeeveloper, and the rest of the Inner Squircle: Angela, Heather, Kelly, and Meaghan. None of this fun is possible without them.
This Otter is livin’ the life, while the Goat is really working that sweater. And with that, we have all 16 contenders for the 2014 Baby Animal March Squee Madness Champion.
Oh hello there, I didn’t see you. I’m sooo sleepy. I’m only a newborn and need lots and lots of sleep. When I get a little bigger, I’ll be able to play in the bigger tide pool, but for now, I get to sleep in this sun beam. Sometimes when I go to sleep I get scared and need to hold onto a hand so I don’t float away. That’s really scary so I hold on very tight. Maybe after my nap we can playzzzzzzzzz.
Back from the runways of fashion week, Boots models the latest in farmyard couture. He realized his dream of becoming a goat model one day when he was eating lunch and caught his reflection in the trough and thought to himself, “Boots, you’re ridiculously good looking. Maybe you could do this as a career.” Besides shopping, Boots can be found climbing trees, eating cans, and ruminating over fashion magazines. Still just a kid, he can’t wait until his horns get long enough to bedazzle like all the big boys.
On Wednesday, Round 1 begins. You’ll have two days to vote in 8 heart-wrenching matchups. Also starting Wednesday, you’ll have 48 hours to fill in and submit your own bracket to us. If you correctly predict the 2014 Squee Champion (which will be announced on March 21), you’ll be entered into a pool of names, from which we’ll choose one lucky winner to receive a membership to their local zoo or aquarium! There’s nothing we love more than providing direct access to adorable creatures near you.